Religious Education Program
“It’s boring”. Too often this term is applied to Church by children. They squirm during the Liturgy and fidget through the sermon. But if they do not comprehend what is happening, what else do you expect? How can we encourage our children to participate in our faith if they don’t understand it? The mission of the St. George Cathedral Sunday School is to help children grow in their understanding of their Orthodox faith. We hope that the more our children understand, the more they will develop towards living and loving our Orthodox faith. Our aim is to provide each child a foundation on which his and her faith can grow. We hope that both you and your child will be active participants in our Sunday School Program.
Divine Liturgy 10:00 am: Students in our Religious Education program should be in Church
for worship at 10:00 am. Students are to sit with their classmates and teachers, in the
reserved front pews on the pulpit side of the Church. Students will be dismissed after
Holy Communion to attend their respective classes. It is imperative that students attend
class on a consistent basis. Attendance will be taken in each classroom at the beginning
of the lesson. Classes are to be held from September 09, 2019 for the 2019/2020 school year.
Download: 2019/2020 Schedule
- PRE-SCHOOL: Reaching For Jesus
- KINDERGARTEN: Happy With God
- 1st GRADE: Me and My World
- 2nd GRADE: Loving God
- 3rd GRADE: Sharing God’s World
- 4th GRADE: Growing With God
- 5th GRADE: God Calls Us
- 6th GRADE: The Christian Way of Life
- 7th & 8th GRADES: The Church, Sacraments, The 10 Commandments
- 9th GRADE STEWARDSHIP: Serving in God’s World Facing Up To Peer Pressure
SUNDAY SCHOOL GOALS
Childhood is an important time to learn how to participate fully in the Orthodox Christian life. Much of this learning takes place in the Sunday School class, but the primary place of Christian education is at home. Therefore, parents are asked to take an active role in the Christian education of their children. Help your child learn the common prayers, hymns, and responses. Help them to build a discipline of daily prayer. Help them to take an ongoing concern for their own Christian education and growth.
In general, the following is a list of what the students should know and remember when they graduate from Sunday School:
- • The Lord's Prayer and where in the Bible it is found.
- • The Creed
- • The 10 Commandments
- • Where to find certain subjects in the Old and New Testaments
- • The sequences of the Books of the Bible
- • A knowledge of the Old Testament
- • A knowledge of the New Testament
- • The Nativity of our Lord, His Life, His Teachings, His Death and Resurrection
- • The important Saints of our Orthodox Faith
- • Church History and the liturgical practices of our Faith
- • How to cross themselves and what it means
The following specific goals have been specified for each class:
- KINDERGARTEN & 1st GRADE: The Sign of the Cross “Glory to the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, now and forever and to the ages of ages. Amen.” “Lord have mercy, Lord have mercy, Lord have mercy.” “Grant this O Lord.” “To Thee O Lord.” “Holy God, Holy Mighty, Holy Immortal, have mercy on us. Holy God, Holy Mighty, Holy Immortal, have mercy on us. Holy God, Holy Mighty, Holy Immortal, have mercy on us.”
- 2nd & 3rd GRADES: The Lord's Prayer:
OUR FATHER WHO ART IN HEAVEN HALLOWED BE THY NAME. THY KINGDOM COME, THY WILL BE DONE, ON EARTH AS IT IS IN HEAVEN. GIVE US THIS DAY OUR DAILY BREAD; AND FORGIVE US OUR TRESPASSES, AS WE FORGIVE THOSE WHO TRESPASS AGAINST US; AND LEAD US NOT INTO TEMPTATION BUT DELIVER US FROM EVIL. (Matthew6:9--13).
FOR YOURS IS THE KINGDOM AND THE POWER AND THE GLORY OF THE FATHER AND THE SON AND THE HOLY SPIRIT, NOW AND FOREVER AND TO THE AGES OF AGES. AMEN.
I believe in one God, Father Almighty, Creator of heaven and earth, and of all things visible and invisible. And in one Lord Jesus Christ, the only-begotten Son of God, begotten of the Father before all ages; Light of Light, true God of true God, begotten, not created, of one essence with the Father, through whom all things were made. Who for us men and for our salvation came down from heaven and was incarnate of the
Holy Spirit and the Virgin Mary and became man. He was crucified for us under Pontius Pilate, and suffered and was buried; And He rose on the third day, according to the Scriptures. He ascended into heaven and is seated at the right hand of the Father. And He will come again with glory to judge the living and the dead; His kingdom shall have no end. And in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the Creator of Life, Who proceeds from the Father, Who together with the Father and the Son is worshiped and glorified, Who spoke through the prophets. In one, holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church. I confess one baptism for the forgiveness of sins. I look for the resurrection of the dead, and the life of the age to come. Amen.Prayer to the Holy Spirit:
"Heavenly King, Comforter, the Spirit of Truth, present everywhere and filling all things. Treasury of Blessings and Giver of Life, come and abide in us. Cleanse us of every stain, and save our souls, gracious Lord."
Prayer to the Holy Trinity:
“All Holy Trinity, have mercy on us. Lord forgive our sins. Master pardon our transgressions. Holy One, visit and heal our infirmities for your name's sake.” “Through the Prayers of our Holy Fathers, Lord Jesus Christ our God, have mercy upon us and save us. Amen.”
“It is truly right to bless you, Theotokos, ever blessed and most pure and the Mother of our God. More honorable than the Cherubim, and beyond compare more glorious than the Seraphim, without stain you gave birth to God the Word. Theotokos, truly we magnify you.”
The Ten Commandments
- I am the Lord your God, you shall have no other gods before me
- You shall not make and worship graven images
- You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain
- Remember the Sabbath day and keep it holy
- Honor your father and your mother
- You shall not commit murder
- You shall not commit adultery
- You shall not steal
- You shall not give false witness
- You shall not covet
Trisagion Prayers: The Books of the New Testament:Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, Acts, Romans, I Corinthians, II Corinthians, Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians, I Thessalonians, II Thessalonians, I Timothy, II Timothy, Titus, Philemon, Hebrews, James, I Peter, II Peter, I John, II John, III John, Jude, Revelation.
MAKE A DIFFERENCE
BECOME A STEWARD!
We appreciate your kind and generous donations that help us tend to the needs of our church.Become a Steward